Can You Eat Bologna While Pregnant?
Craving foods like sausage is normal among pregnant ladies because such foods are delicious; the same goes for bologna, a dried, smoked beef sausage. But is it safe to eat bologna while pregnant? The answer to this question is what we are here to discuss in this article on Hipregnancy.
If you want to eat bologna when pregnant but don’t know whether it is safe, read this article to learn more about its safety. If ready, let’s start.
What is bologna?
It is good to see what bologna is before discussing its safety for pregnant women. Bologna is made with ground meat, which can be any combination of beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and chunks of lard. This sausage is derived from Italian mortadella, a pork sausage from the city of Bologna.
- Bologna is usually seasoned with black pepper, nutmeg, coriander, allspice, and celery seeds. This sausage comes in a different version. The followings are some of the most popular types of bologna, including;
- Ring bologna, used to make pickled bologna
- Kosher or halal bologna, is mostly made with beef and sometimes with chicken, lamb, or turkey
- German bologna, also known as garlic bologna
- South African polony, made with highly processed meat and pink slime
- Lebanon halal, a dried and smoky form of sausage
- Rag bologna, a long stick of bologna with high-fat content
Now is the time to see whether it is safe to eat bologna while pregnant. Keep reading to learn more.
Also Read: is maca safe during pregnancy
Can I eat bologna while pregnant?
A common query among pregnant ladies is, “Is bologna meat safe?” The short answer to this question is no, but let’s discuss it in detail.
Bologna is high in sodium and different kinds of preservatives like nitrites, all of which should be avoided during pregnancy. You may think it is only unsafe to eat raw bologna while pregnant and cooked bologna can be eaten; however, both forms harm pregnant women and their unborn babies.
To conclude, cooked bologna while pregnant is forbidden, similar to the raw version. Hipregnancy recommends you opt for healthier options instead of bologna when pregnant to minimizing the chance of health issues it might cause.
The following part will explain the side effects of eating this kind of sausage.
Also Read: can i eat spicy food while pregnant
Why can’t you eat bologna while pregnant?
According to studies on the safety of bologna, consuming bologna during pregnancy is not recommended. But why? Is there any scientific evidence to support this idea? Of course. The followings are the top reasons to avoid bologna meat while pregnant, including;
- Eating foods high in preservatives like bologna can higher the risk of cancer.
- Since bologna contains too much sodium, including it in your pregnancy diet leads to various issues, such as hypertension, heart disease, and stroke.
- Consuming bologna while pregnant can increase the chance of listeriosis infection, resulting in miscarriage, stillbirth, premature birth, and even life-threatening infections in newborns.
As you see, bologna is not a healthy option for pregnancy, and consuming it can lead to various health risks. As w result, put it away during pregnancy and try nutrient-dense options like well-cooked chicken, turkey, or well-done beef.
Also Read: can i eat a california roll while pregnant
Can I eat fried bologna while pregnant?
You may wonder whether it is safe to eat fried bologna while pregnant. As a general rule, frying sausages to an internal temperature of 165F can kill harmful bacteria and make them safe for pregnant women. But this rule doesn’t apply to bologna consumption.
In other words, although frying sausages make them safer to consume during pregnancy, eating fried bologna is not recommended. Since bologna is high in fat and sodium, including it in your pregnancy diet can increase the chance of health risks. Therefore, consuming fried bologna when pregnant is unsafe for pregnant women.
Also Read: sausage while pregnant
Can I eat bologna while breastfeeding?
Bologna is not nutritious for nursing mothers as it contains high amounts of fat and sodium. However, it can be eaten in limited amounts while breastfeeding due to its fat and sodium content.
Hipregnancy recommends you follow a nutrient-rich diet while breastfeeding to support your and your newborn’s health. Eating fresh fruits, lean protein, vegetables, low fat dairy products, nuts, seeds, beans, and whole grains is better for you than foods like bologna.
Bologna is a type of sausage, rich in sodium, fat, and preservatives. Eating bologna while pregnant is forbidden due to its potential side effects. For instance, it can increase the risk of cancer, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
This article on Hipregnancy covered the top points all pregnant ladies need to know about the safety of bologna. Hope you enjoyed it.
If any questions about eating bologna during pregnancy still need to be answered, share them with us via comment.
The Hipregnancy team is always here to help you!
1. Can you eat pickled bologna while pregnant?
Pickled bologna is usually a ring bologna soaked in vinegar and other spices. Consuming this type of bologna is not recommended to pregnant women.
2. Is it safe to consume deer bologna while pregnant?
Deer bologna contains high amounts of risky components for pregnancy, like fat and sodium; therefore, it shouldn’t be taken during pregnancy.
3. Can I have trail bologna while pregnant?
You should not eat trail bologna when pregnant because it harms you and your unborn baby.
4. Is it okay to consume Ring bologna while pregnant?
Ring bologna is a smaller version of this sausage than others, and consuming it is not recommended during pregnancy like other versions of bologna.