Can I Eat Cueritos While Pregnant?
Cueritos is a popular Mexican dish of pickled pork rinds served as a snack, tacos, or tostadas.
Although it is a yummy and beloved dish by anyone, pregnant women have some restrictions in consuming foods, particularly those that contain pork.
Since all kinds of meats are combined with some health issues because of bacterial infections or parasites, pork is not an exception.
If you are carving cueritos while pregnant and don’t know if it is safe, you can move to this article, ‘Can I Eat Cueritos While Pregnant?‘ to address your concern.
To learn more about food restriction during pregnancy, read articles from the Hipregnancy.com website.
Can pregnant women eat cueritos?
Cueritos is a pickled pork skin of a Pig’s back or belly cooked after marinating with vinegar, water, salt, and spices.
Cueritos are often served with salsa or dipping sauce. Although Cueritos is solely served as a Mexican snack or appetizer, it goes well with tacos or burritos.
After understanding the process of preparing cueritos, let’s see whether pregnant women can eat cueritos.
As you may know, undercooked or raw pork is a main source of foodborne illness, and if the prepared cueritos contains raw pork skin, you must avoid eating it to keep your baby safe.
The severity of the foodborne illness can differ depending on the contaminated causes.
But, among organisms, listeria has the most severe effects on babies. At the same time, trichinella infection (worm larvae) causes abdominal pain and upset, muscle aches, headache, and swelling of the eyes, which is rare.
But if you are sure that cueritos is made of well-cooked pickle pork skin and its skin is off-white and uniform, there is no issue to worry about eating Cueritos when pregnant.
Also Read: Tacos While Pregnant
Benefits & risks of eating cueritos while pregnant
Let’s see what the health benefits of eating cueritos while pregnant are:
- Rich in protein: It is essential for the growth and development of your baby.
- High in collagen: It is an important material for skin, hair, and nail well-being.
- Rise Healthy fats intake: About 43% of pork fats are classified as unsaturated, which you can find mainly in vegetable oils such as olive oil.
- Low in carbs: Foods that are high in carbs lead to weight gain, which is not the same for Cueritos as pork is low in carbs, and you can enjoy it as a snack in your meal.
Let’s see what are the risks of eating cueritos while pregnant:
- High sodium content: As cueritos is pickled pork in a brine solution, it is high in sodium. Consuming excessive sodium during pregnancy can lead to water retention and increased blood pressure, which puts both mother and baby at risk.
- High in fat and calories: It can increase the risk of developing certain health conditions, such as gestational diabetes, high cholesterol, and weight gain.
To reduce the risk of eating cueritos during pregnancy, you can adjust the salt amount and make it low.
Also Read: chicory during pregnancy
Tips for making cueritos while pregnant at home
Here is the list of tips to help you ensure that you are eating healthy cueritos during pregnancy:
- Clean the pork skins well to remove any fats.
- The pork skin should be cooked thoroughly to soften since it becomes less soft while cool.
- Fry pork skins twice; the first is done to remove their unpleasant scent, and the second is done to add flavor.
- Put a pot on medium heat and add pickled pork to the boiling water. Allow to cook for 3-5 minutes.
- If you’re not a fan of spicy food, you can omit the jalapeno pepper or cut it in half lengthwise and remove the veins and seeds.
- The ratio for the vinegar mixture is 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water. So, if you use 3 ounces of water, you’ll need 1 ounce of vinegar to cover the contents.
- Clean the pork skins under the water to avoid drought of the skin.
The last words
Cueritos is one of the yummy Mexican cuisines that can taste the buds of everyone, particularly pregnant women who crave salty snacks.
But the main question for most pregnant women is, can I eat cueritos while pregnant?
The answer is yes, and pregnant women can enjoy eating cueritos if the pork is cooked completely free of contamination.
Hope reading this article helps you to manage your daily meal plan better.
How often do you eat cueritos at normal times? And if you are pregnant, do you have any plan to reduce the time of eating it? Tell us in the comment section about your meal plan.
If you seek additional information about other safe foods to consume during pregnancy, visit the hipregnancy.com website for more knowledge.
1.Is there any risk of eating cueritos during pregnancy?
Eating Cueritos is not risk-free, particularly for pregnant women, since it is high in calories and fat and is highly associated with weight gain and heart disease.
To keep balance in intaking calories and fat, pregnant women should eat Cueritos in moderation.
2.Can eating cueritos negatively affect the fetus?
No recorded evidence shows that eating cueritos during pregnancy can harm the baby. To avoid risk, you must eat it in moderation and ensure it is made of well-cooked pickled pork skin.
3.If cueritos cannot be consumed during pregnancy, what alternative snack options can be considered?
You can consume many healthy options as a snack, such as nuts, seeds, roasted chickpeas, and jerky. These options are rich in protein and healthy fats that can give your body nutrients.
If you still insist on eating pork, you can eat baked pork rinds as a snack.
4.Can I eat cueritos while pregnant first trimester?
Yes, you can consume pork-containing foods as long as the pork is thoroughly cooked pork to a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
5.Can I eat cueritos while pregnant third trimester?
Yes, there is no issue with eating Cueritos during the third trimester of pregnancy if you are sure pork ingredients are thoroughly cooked.