5 Healthy and Easy Morning Breakfast For Pregnancy
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, which should not be skipped. Pregnant ladies who start their daily activities after having healthy and even easy morning breakfast for pregnancy will have more energy and feel better till the end of the day. In other words, consuming a healthy breakfast containing nutrient-dense food gives your body all the nutrients needed for having a healthy pregnancy and giving birth to a healthy, smarter baby.
In this article on Hipregnancy, we will cover easy morning breakfast ideas for pregnancy, which can help you prepare nutritious foods for breakfast meals. Read this article to the end to learn these easy but applicable recipes for your pregnancy period.
What kinds of food should pregnant women eat for breakfast meal?
Pregnant women should be aware of what they eat, as it is the only way to feed their unborn baby in the womb. Adding nutrient-dense food options into your diet plan during pregnancy help you to have a healthy pregnancy, which will be ended without any complications.
According to studies, some kinds of highly nutritious food should be added to your meal plan, whether it is easy pregnancy lunches or easy morning breakfasts for pregnancy. Dairy products, fish, lean meat, eggs, fruits, seeds, veggies, nuts, sweet potatoes, green leafy vegetables, and healthy fats from nuts, fish, or avocado are the best food options that can be added to your meal plan for breakfast.
Although all the foods mentioned above are healthy and pregnancy safe, they should be consumed in moderation.
Hipregnancy recommends you consult your doctor before adding food options into your diet, even the healthy ones. Because all the recommendations are general guidelines for all pregnant ladies, and if you want to have a meal plan based on your pregnancy circumstances, you should talk to your doctor about your diet.
Also Read: healthy pregnancy dinner recipes
5 Easy morning breakfast for pregnancy
There are millions of breakfast recipes for pregnant women, but the followings are the most common easy morning breakfast for pregnancy, containing highly nutritious ingredients. These food options give you enough energy to start your day. Let’s take a look at these delicious foods with easy recipes;
- Cottage cheese pancakes
This kind of cheese is a good option for pregnant women to consume, as it contains high amounts of calcium and protein. You can make this type of breakfast simply with eggs, cottage cheese, and oats as this kind of pancake doesn’t have sugar in its recipe; it can be a part of the best diet for gestational diabetes during pregnancy. If you are a cottage cheese lover, you can enjoy this food as a breakfast meal and begin your day by treating yourself to the food you like.
- Spiced warm milk with honey
While pregnant, you should keep your caffeine intake in control due to the negative effects of caffeine in pregnancy. You may think that it means you should say goodbye to warm drinks in the morning for your breakfast meal. Not only is this idea not true, but also there are warm drinks that can be enjoyed instead of caffeinated beverages while pregnant.
Spiced milk and honey is one of these pregnancy-safe warm drinks and can be an easy morning breakfast for pregnancy. This kind of drink can help you to meet your body’s calcium needs during pregnancy.
- Chicken and ginger congee
Morning sickness is a common complaint of pregnant women, especially during the first trimester. Consuming food options that are more friendly to your morning sickness can help you feel better in the morning due to their effects on easing morning sickness.
Chicken and ginger congee is a good option for breakfast for the pregnant 1st trimester. This food contains ginger, white rice, bone broth or water, and chicken thighs as well, which make this food nourishing.
- Spinach-cheese egg scramble
The easiest food option for breakfast meal is egg, no matter during pregnancy or before that. If you cook eggs completely, you can make a healthy breakfast while pregnant. Eating eggs during pregnancy is an excellent option due to its high levels of proteins, choline, vitamins, and antioxidants. You can scramble up your egg with spinach and pasteurized cheese to make it super nutritious food for pregnancy.
- Apple pancakes
These pancakes are healthy for pregnant women, as they contain key nutrients needed during pregnancy, such as vitamin B, iron, copper, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and zinc. Apple pancakes are made with milk, eggs, wheat flour, and raisins, and there are no refined sugars in their recipe.
3 breakfast to avoid when pregnant
Surely, not all foods are healthy options to consume while pregnant. You should be aware of the foods that should be avoided during pregnancy to reduce the risk of health issues while pregnant. The following are breakfast foods that you should keep away during pregnancy, even if you like to taste them;
- Unpasteurized dairy products
Consuming unpasteurized dairy products, like cheese, milk, yogurt, etc., can put you at risk of food poisoning, as they may contain listeria. Listeria can lead to listeriosis infection, and complications like miscarriage or fetal death. As a result, if you want to consume dairy products, like blue cheese while pregnant, you should eat the pasteurized types to reduce the risk of infections.
- Raw eggs
Eggs are pregnancy-safe food options, but they should be cooked thoroughly before consumption. Do you know the reason behind that? Let us tell you. According to studies, raw or runny eggs contain harmful bacteria known as salmonella, which can lead to food poisoning.
Hipregnancy warns you about food poisoning while pregnant, as it harms your unborn baby’s health! Therefore, choose the well-cooked options if you want to eat eggs as a healthy breakfast for pregnant women.
- Raw or undercooked meat and seafood
Like the previous two options, undercooked or raw seafood and meat can cause food poisoning, followed by pregnancy complications. The best way to enjoy these nutritious foods is to cook them completely to make them pregnancy-safe options.
Breakfast food safety tips for pregnant women
Sometimes, even simple things can make healthy food an unhealthy option. So, keep in mind the following guidelines to have a healthy breakfast during pregnancy;
- Wash your hands before making food and eating; this can help you not to get infected.
- Consume freshly cooked foods for breakfast meals to avoid food poisoning during pregnancy.
- Add fruits and vegetables to your meal plan and wash them completely before consumption.
- Do not avoid fats, and add healthy fats from nuts, olives, avocado, and butter in your food recipes for breakfast.
The above points may seem simple, but they are vital and help you safely make your easy morning breakfast for pregnancy . So, follow them anytime you want to make your breakfast meal.
Pregnancy breakfast recipes
Hipregnancy provided you with healthy breakfast ideas for pregnancy in previous parts. Here are some recipes to have a quick breakfast for pregnancy. Let’s see what you can prepare for breakfast while pregnant.
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt (read more about benefits of yogurt in pregnancy)
- 1 cup frozen unsweetened strawberries
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tbsp wheat germ, optional
- You should place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until pureed. Pour it into a tall glass and enjoy this best breakfast for pregnancy.
- ½ cup frozen unsweetened raspberries
- 1 medium banana, frozen and sliced
- ½ cup calcium-fortified orange juice
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 2 tbsp wheat germ, optional
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy this yummy smoothie.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ
- 1 tsp baking soda (read more about why can’t you take a baking soda bath while pregnant)
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 cup white grape juice concentrate
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 tsp minced lemon zest
- First, preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl and combine the whole-wheat flour, ground ginger, baking soda, oats, and flax seeds. Stir in nuts.
- Mix eggs, juice concentrate, fresh ginger, vanilla, and lemon zest in another bowl.
- Add the juice mixture to the flour mixture and stir gently until smooth. Gently fold in carrots.
- Line a standard-size muffin tin with paper lines and add the batter. Bake muffin for 20 minutes until fully cooked. Transfer the muffin to a wire rack and let it cool.
- You can store muffins in an airtight container for 3 days or separately wrap them in plastic wrap, then in a freezer bag, and freeze for 1 month. Enjoy this breakfast when pregnant, and follow the moderation key.
- 2 tsp part-skim ricotta cheese (read more about Ricotta Cheese While Pregnant)
- 4 oz spinach leaves, chopped
- 3 tsp olive oil, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp parmesan cheese (read more about parmesan cheese pregnancy)
- 3 tbsp skim or low-fat milk
- Salt and pepper
- Take a medium nonstick skillet and warm 1 tsp of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add spinach and fry quickly until most of the liquid is absorbed. Transfer spinach to a bowl and stir in ricotta cheese.
- Whisk eggs, milk, pepper, and salt. Wipe out the skillet, add the remaining olive oil to it, and cook eggs for about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, fold in spinach mixture, return skillet to medium heat, and cook for 30 seconds more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and serve it while steaming hot.
Nutrition is the most important part of any pregnancy. It means that you should eat nutritious food every day to keep your body healthy and care for unborn baby better. This article covered what must be eaten and avoided for breakfast during pregnancy.
In addition, we mentioned an easy morning breakfast for pregnancy to help those pregnant ladies who want to make their breakfast meal in the shortest time possible.
Now we are ready to hear your ideas about breakfast meals. “Do you know any other recipes for breakfast during pregnancy?” Do share your experiences with us and other moms-to-be worldwide.
1. What is a high-protein breakfast for pregnancy?
Eggs, baked beans, milk, yogurt, nuts, and seeds are high sources of protein that you can enjoy as a high protein breakfast during pregnancy
2. What is a good breakfast for pregnant 1st trimester?
For breakfast in the first trimester of pregnancy, you can enjoy eggs, milk, muffins, cheese, etc.. Moreover, you can try pregnancy-safe drinks like juices or smoothies to ease your morning sickness.