Peanut Butter During Pregnancy (Safety, Benefits)
Pregnant women should be aware of what they consume during pregnancy, including peanut butter. This delicious food is a good source of nutrients, but can pregnant women have this food? Is eating peanut butter during pregnancy safe? Of course, there are some key points that every mom-to-be should know about peanut butter and pregnancy.
In this article on Hipregnancy, we will discuss the most important points you should figure out about eating peanut butter during pregnancy. Read to the end to become familiar with the surprising benefits of consuming peanut butter.
Is peanut butter good for pregnancy?
The short answer to this question is yes, but it depends.
Peanut falls into the category of highly nutritious foods with several health benefits for moms and unborn babies. They are good sources of protein, fiber, and folate, the key nutrients needed for moms-to-be and developing babies.
Peanut butter is good for pregnancy, but those who are allergic to peanuts or peanut butter should avoid consuming this type of butter.
If you sensitive to peanut or its butter, eating peanut butter during pregnancy can have negative and even harmful effects on your baby due to its allergic effects on you. In other words, if your body shows an allergic reaction after consuming this type of butter, the chances of developing an allergy in your unborn baby increase.
As a result, it is safe to add peanut butter to your meal plan while pregnant, except when you have an allergy to it. Keep in mind that, those who do not have an allergy to peanut butter should consult healthcare provider about whether they can enjoy consuming this food.
Also Read: Peanuts During Pregnancy
Key nutrients of peanut butter
Eating peanut butter during pregnancy is followed by several health benefits due to the existence of the following nutrients;
|Nutrients||Amounts (In 2 tablespoons, or 33 gr of peanut butter)|
|Saturated fat||3 gr|
Benefits of eating peanut butter during pregnancy
Peanut butter can be a healthy and nutritious food for anybody. As well as pregnant women. Here are the vital and amazing health benefits of consuming this tasty butter while pregnant;
- It is proven that consuming peanut butter can reduce the risk of nut allergies in babies. It means that moms with this delicious to taste butter in their diet while pregnant give birth to babies with high tolerance to nuts’ allergy.
- Peanuts are good sources of folate and folic acid, which are key nutrients for the development of the fetus. In addition, folate and folic acid can help reduce the risk of birth defects, the overall development of the baby, especially the development of the brain. Therefore, eating peanut butter during the first trimester of pregnancy, when the baby needs folate for developing more than ever, is advised.
- Peanut butter is rich in protein which is needed for baby’s development. It is a good option for those who are vegetarian or can’t tolerate the taste and smell of meat while pregnant.
- There is a good relationship between peanut butter and pregnancy first trimester. It is a good energy booster, which can help pregnant ladies defeat fatigue and tiredness during pregnancy, especially in the first trimester. Most pregnant ladies search for foods that can boost their energy levels to do their daily activities because hormonal changes and baby development reduces their energy levels. Fortunately, eating peanut butter during pregnancy as a healthy pregnancy snack can help them solve this problem.
- Being a good source of healthy fats is another benefit of this butter, which is a cause of good relationship between peanut butter and pregnancy. Healthy fats should be included in your diet while pregnant due to their importance in supporting the growth of the placenta and reducing the risk of premature birth.
- Peanut butter can improve the immune system because it contains vitamins, iron, minerals, flu-fighting antioxidants, and also vitamin E, which are important nutrients for the immune system strength.
- It can boost memory and improve cognitive functions during pregnancy. These happen because of their highly beneficial nutrients. For example, it contains monounsaturated fats, which are needed for the brain’s health, and also resveratrol, an antioxidant that brings more blood to the brain.
Also Read: Can Pregnant Women Eat Sour Cream
Who should avoid eating peanut butter during pregnancy?
In general, peanut butter is pregnancy-safe to consume, but in the following cases, it should be avoided;
- Sensitivity to peanut butter
If you experience any indigestion problems or minute gas after eating this butter, you should avoid consuming it and put it aside while pregnant.
- Having past allergic reactions
Pregnant ladies who have had past allergic reactions to peanut butter before pregnancy should omit this butter from their diet for their whole life and during pregnancy.
- Prone to increase in weight during pregnancy
Peanut butter is high in calories, and it is not a good option for those at risk of obesity and gaining abnormal weight during pregnancy. Be aware of how many calories should I eat while pregnant and control calorie intake.
Best types of peanut butter to consume during pregnancy
Many types of peanut butter are available in the store, but only natural peanut butter without additivities is the best option to consume while pregnant. Many types of this butter that are sold include sugar, salt, hydrogenated oils, e.g., trans fats, which can increase the risk of heart disease.
The best way to choose pregnancy-safe peanut butter is to check the ingredient list on the jar’s label and only buy the ones containing peanut butter or peanut butter and a little salt. The other way to healthy option is to make the butter at home and enjoy your homemade peanut butter without any concerns.
Eating peanut butter during pregnancy is safe for those who do not have an allergy to peanuts, but pregnant ladies with allergic reactions to this type of nut should avoid consuming it while pregnant.
Peanut butter is a good source of protein, healthy fats, fiber, vitamins, etc., which can help in improving the immune system, development of the baby, boosting energy levels, and memory. Enjoy eating this superfood during pregnancy, if your doctor recommends you.
If any more questions about peanut butter while pregnant still need to be answered, share them with us via comment.
The Hipregnancy team is always here to help you!
Can I eat peanut butter while pregnant?
Eating peanut butter while pregnant can be a good choice if you don’t have a history of allergy to peanut butter.