Can I Eat Menudo While Pregnant?
Menudo is a Mexican soup that you might crave during pregnancy. Since pregnancy is a sensitive period, you should be cautious about the foods you include in your diet and check their safety. Do you know anything about the safety of menudo while pregnant? If not, don’t worry.
This article on Hipregnancy covers all you need to know about eating menudo while pregnant. So, keep reading this article if you are a fan of this Mexican soup and don’t know whether it is safe during pregnancy.
What is menudo?
It is best to discuss the menudo before going to its safety for pregnancy. Shall we start? Let’s continue.
Menudo is a Mexican broth-based soup made from beef tripe, veggies, hominy, onion, garlic, oregano, cumin, and chilis. You can decide what to put into your menudo dish, which can change your dish name.
For example, if you add red chilis to your dish, it will be menudo rojo, or if you put hominy into your dish and omit chili, it will be menudo Sinaloa.
While you can decide to put what ingredients into your menudo, there is a primary ingredient that you can’t omit it from the dish; it is tripe. Tripe is the lining of a cow’s stomach, with a rich and salty taste, similar to the liver flavor.
Also Read: healthy dinner for pregnancy
Can you eat menudo while pregnant?
A common query of pregnant women to their healthcare providers is, “Is menudo safe during pregnancy?” Here is all you need to know about eating menudo while pregnant.
According to research, pregnant ladies can try menudo, but they should pay attention to the following tips to support a healthy pregnancy, including;
- Since menudo contains tripe, it should be fully cooked; otherwise, it might be contaminated with harmful bacteria and make you ill during pregnancy.
- This Mexican soup should be served hot.
- You should avoid putting unpasteurized ingredients into your soup, like sour cream. Always opt for pasteurized dairy products while pregnant to avoid their possible dangers.
- Since you should follow a balanced diet during pregnancy, moderate your menudo intake.
- Eating too much menudo while pregnant can increase the risk of indigestion and other discomfort.
- It is advisable to consult your healthcare provider before including menudo in your diet, as each pregnancy is unique and has different circumstances.
Now is the time to see how menudo can benefit you and the developing baby. Let’s continue!
Also Read: can i eat spicy food while pregnant
Benefits of menudo during pregnancy
Well-cooked menudo provides the following health benefits to pregnant ladies, including;
- The tripe in menudo is rich in protein, which is a building block of body cells and supports the baby’s growth and development, brain, organs, and tissues.
- Consuming menudo when pregnant provides antioxidants that can help fight against harmful radicals contributing to infection, oxidative stress, and inflammation.
- Cooked tripe is a rich iron source, which is essential for blood health during pregnancy. Iron prevents anemia and helps red blood cells transport oxygen to the developing baby. Since vitamin C increases iron absorption, you can try your menudo with options high in vitamin C to get the most iron out of your dish.
- Consuming menudo while pregnant provides vitamin B12, which aids red blood cell formation, DNA and cell production, nerve functioning, and the baby’s neural development.
- Menudo is a great source of magnesium, an essential mineral for regulating blood sugar levels, creating proteins, and controlling your blood pressure when pregnant.
- Menudo contains healthy fats, aids baby’s brain development, and vitamins absorption.
- This Mexican soup is rich in zinc, an essential mineral for energy metabolism, wound healing, supporting a healthy immune system, and baby’s cells and DNA development.
Remember that you should eat a moderate amount of menudo during pregnancy to support a healthy pregnancy and benefit from it.
Therefore, Hipregnancy recommends you consult your doctor to determine how much menudo you can include in your pregnancy diet.
Also Read: pregnancy smoothie recipe
Possible dangers of menudo while pregnant
As mentioned above, only thoroughly cooked menudo is safe for pregnant women. Undercooked menudo carries a risk of food poisoning caused by salmonella, leading to serious health issues like mental illness and heart disease during pregnancy.
Moreover, eating overly spicy menudo while pregnant can lead to indigestion and heartburn in some pregnant ladies. Even it can worsen morning sickness, especially during the third trimester of pregnancy.
To conclude, you should eat properly cooked menudo during pregnancy and opt for milder versions to prevent its possible dangers.
Menudo is a Mexican soup that you may wonder about its safety for pregnancy. According to studies, you can consume menudo while pregnant, but opt for a fully-cooked, milder version. Moreover, your soup should be served hot to be healthy for pregnancy.
Hope you enjoyed this article on Hipregnancy. If any questions about consuming menudo when pregnant still need to be answered, share them with us via comment.
The Hipregnancy team is always here to help you!
Can pregnant women eat menudo?
It is safe to consume menudo while pregnant if cooked thoroughly and taken in moderation.