Can You Eat Pineapple While Pregnant?
Pregnant women should add fruit to their diet due to their high nutritional values. But what are the best fruits for pregnancy? Is pineapple one of them? Can pregnant women eat pineapple?
Although pineapple falls into the category of nutritious foods, eating pineapple while pregnant in large amounts is not recommended due to its potential risk on pregnant ladies.
In this article on Hipregnancy, we will cover the answers to your questions about consuming pineapple while pregnant. Keep reading to the end to figure out all you need about this tasty fruit.
Can I eat pineapple while pregnant?
Pineapple is a good source of fiber and vitamins, such as C and B6, for pregnant women, development and growth of the baby. Still, you might hear that it is better not to eat this fruit during pregnancy, due to its effect on early miscarriage.
There is no scientific evidence to support the idea about pineapple’s negative effect on pregnancy and leading to miscarriage or bring on labor. But in general, it is advised to consume pineapple in moderation while pregnant, except during the first trimester because you need to be very serious about what you consume during 1st trimester and do not eat foods that harm baby.
Rememeber this rule, especially when you are pregnant; eat everything in moderation and don’t consume one particular food in excess, even highly nutritious foods!
You may want to know why you should avoid consuming pineapple while pregnant or have it in moderation. Let us tell you the myth. Pineapple contains bromelain enzyme, which can increase the risk of miscarriage, but the amount of this enzyme is so low in pineapple. Most of it is found in the core of the pineapple.
Bromelain acts by blood thinning and digesting proteins, followed by ripening the cervix and opening it before the right time. Therefore, if you overeat pineapple during pregnancy, you will put yourself at risk of miscarriage.
apple cider vinegar pregnancy
Key nutrients of pineapple
The following table shows you the nutritional value of 1 cup or a serving of pineapple in pregnancy;
|2.3 g fiber|
|16 g sugar|
|22 g carbs|
|0.9 g protein|
|11% of the daily value (DV) of thiamin|
|7% DV folate|
|67% DV manganese|
|88% DV vitamin C|
|20% DV copper|
|5% DV niacin|
|5% DV magnesium|
Let’s continue to see the benefits of eating pineapple in pregnancy.
calories in pregnancy
Health benefits of eating pineapple during pregnancy
Here are the benefits of consuming pineapple in moderation, which shows that it can be a good and positive relation between pineapple and pregnancy if it is not consumed in large quantities;
- Pineapple can boost immunity because this fruit is high in vitamin C. In addition, it can repair and prevent cell damage and improve collagen production, which is needed for the growth of your baby’s skin, tendons, and bones.
- Not only it has vitamin C needed for the growth of the baby’s bone, but also it contains manganese, which keeps your bones healthy and reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
- It is a good source of fiber, which can boost digestion and control weight gain during pregnancy. Moreover, eating pineapple during pregnancy third trimester can reduce the risk of pregnancy-related constipation.
- Regulating the the nervous system’s function is another health benefit of consuming pineapple while pregnant, which is the result of vitamin B1 or thiamin of this fruit.
- Last but not least, pineapple can help increase the production of red blood cells, which can prevent anemia in pregnant women, as well as increase the production of antibodies and relieve morning sickness.
watermelon during pregnancy
Can I eat pineapple while breastfeeding?
Pre conception diet and after that is important for the mom’s health and the bay. But what about nutrition during breastfeeding? Is it safe to eat pineapple during this period?
In general, it is not recommended to eat pineapple during breastfeeding because it is rich in vitamin C, which is not good for a breastfed baby and can cause rash and allergy. Citrus fruits like orange and lemon can act like pineapple and should be avoided or limited during breastfeeding.
It is better not to have pineapple in your diet while breastfeeding, especially when you are at first breastfeeding. But if you consumed this fruit and saw the signs of rash in the baby, keep the fruit away and go to the doctor for a check-up.
Potential risks of consuming pineapple during pregnancy
Pineapples can have negative side effects on pregnant women if consumed in large amounts. Here are the top and most common risks associated with consuming pineapple in excess;
- Miscarriage: pineapple contains bromelain enzyme. Consuming too much pineapple during pregnancy first trimester may soften the cervix and increase the risk of miscarriage and premature labor.
- Heartburn: it is high in acids and can be the cause of acid reflux or heartburn among pregnant ladies who have sensitive or weak digestive systems.
- Increase blood sugar levels: eating pineapple while pregnant can lead to high blood sugar because of its high sugar. This fruit is not recommended for pregnant ladies with gestational diabetes. These people should add the best foods for gestational diabetes to their meal plan instead of pineapple.
Pineapple is delicious fruit, and because of craving pineapple while pregnant is common among pregnant ladies. Some people believe that pineapple should be kept away during pregnancy due to containing bromelain enzyme, which can lead to miscarriage. But the fact is that if you consume pineapple in moderation, you will not face any problems.
What do you think about consuming pineapple in pregnancy? Do you have any experience with it? Share your experience with us and pregnant ladies all over the world.
1. Can you eat pineapple while pregnant second trimester?
You can eat pineapple during the second trimester of pregnancy, but should have it in moderation to prevent its potential risks.
2. Can pineapple cause miscarriage?
Eating too much pineapple can increase the chance of miscarriage as it contains bromelain enzyme.
3. Can I drink pineapple juice while pregnant?
It is safe to drink occasional pineapple juice for pregnant women; howerver, drinking too much of it is not recommended.