Can You Eat Popcorn While Pregnant?
Pregnancy is when you might want to eat everything you see; popcorn is no exception. However, Pregnant women should not eat everything they find, and should check the safety of their food before eating. If you are concerned about eating popcorn while pregnant, here is all you need to know.
This article on Hipregnancy covers the top points about the safety of popcorn during pregnancy. So, keep reading this article to the end if you are a fan of popcorn and want to know whether it is to have it while pregnant.
Can I eat popcorn while pregnant?
According to studies, popcorn can be a safe snack for pregnant women if eaten in moderation. Popcorn is a source of different nutrients your body needs to support a healthy pregnancy, including selenium, protein, fiber, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, iron, etc. So, consuming popcorn while pregnant can help meet your body’s nutritional needs.
Hipregnancy recommends you opt for air-popped popcorn with no added salt and butter, as eating too much salt and butter can increase your fat and sodium level during pregnancy. Moreover, if you want to make popcorn at home and don’t like plain popcorn, use a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of olive oil to flavor it.
It is advisable to limit consuming prepacked flavored popcorn during pregnancy to minimize the risk of possible dangers of added toppings for pregnancy. Now, you know that eating popcorn while pregnant is safe, but some points need to be considered. So, let’s continue to see the nutritional profile of popcorn.
Also Read: can pregnant women eat deviled eggs
Nutritional value of popcorn
Many may think that popcorn is junk food, but it is a healthy snack. The following table shows the nutritional value of 100 grams of popcorn. Let’s take a look at what popcorn contains.
|Magnesium||36% of the recommended dietary intake|
|Vitamin B1, B3, and B6||9% on the average|
Benefits of eating popcorn during pregnancy
Consuming popcorn while pregnant provides several health benefits, including;
- Popcorn is high in protein, is essential for the baby’s growth and development.
- Consuming popcorn while pregnant third trimester can relieve constipation as it is high in fiber. The fiber content of popcorn can promote healthy digestion and bowel movements during pregnancy.
- Popcorn is a low-calorie snack that can help pregnant women maintain a healthy weight.
- Eating popcorn during pregnancy provides manganese needed for proper fetal development and baby’s bone and cartilage formation.
- Due to its zinc content, popcorn is a healthy option for pregnant women to prevent preterm birth and low birth weight.
- Popcorn contains polyphenol antioxidants that can decrease the risk of breast cancer in pregnant women and promote their overall health.
- It is a whole-grain snack with a low glycemic index, making it diabetic-friendly.
Also Read: Soufflé During Pregnancy
Popcorn shrimp while pregnant
As the name suggests, you may think that popcorn shrimp contains popcorn, but it doesn’t. Popcorn shrimp is an appetizer made of bite-size shrimp coated in batter and deep-fried to golden. They are called popcorn shrimp since they are eaten like popcorn.
According to research, it is safe to eat popcorn shrimp during pregnancy, but it should be an occasional treat as it is high in fat. You should only eat thoroughly cooked popcorn shrimp to prevent the risk of food poisoning.
It is advisable to consult your healthcare provider before adding popcorn shrimp into your diet while pregnant to ensure how much you can have it, as having too much fat is unsafe for pregnancy.
Does popcorn help with nausea during pregnancy?
You may wonder,what are the benefits of popcorn in early pregnancy? Is it good for morning sickness? Yes! Consuming popcorn while pregnant first trimester can help with nausea.
One of the ways that can help relieve morning sickness is by eating plain or slightly salted snacks like popcorn. Eating small quantities of popcorn while pregnant can make you feel better regarding nausea. So, if you have trouble with morning sickness, try popcorn to see whether it can reduce discomfort. If yes, go ahead and enjoy it.
Can I eat microwave popcorn while pregnant?
“I ate microwave popcorn while pregnant, is microwave popcorn unsafe during pregnancy?”
Hipregnancy doesn’t recommend eating microwave popcorn while pregnant; the type you buy in a supermarke. The microwavable popcorn bags contain perfluorinated compounds (PFCs) that break down to perfluorooctanoic acid.
The chemicals used in microwave popcorn packaging can cause developmental issues in the baby, cancer, and other health issues. In addition, these types of popcorn are higher in salt and unhealthy toppings. As a result, pregnant women should avoid commercially-made microwave popcorn and opt for healthier options.
Best popcorn for pregnancy
The best and healthiest popcorn for pregnancy is air-popped popcorn which is unbuttered and unsalted. This type of popcorn is low in fat and free of unhealthy toppings; therefore, it can be the best choice for pregnant women.
You can make air-popped popcorn at home by placing a tablespoon of kernels into a popcorn maker. If you like, season your popcorn with small quantities of salt, herbs, and spices after the popcorn is finished popping.
If you want to eat commercially-made popcorn while pregnant, you can opt for the following examples and enjoy them in moderation;
- White Popcorn
- Yellow Popcorn
- Mushroom Popcorn
Remember that even the best popcorn for pregnancy should be eaten in moderation; otherwise, it will change into an unhealthy option for pregnancy and causes some issues that will be discussed in the following part.
Risks of consuming popcorn while pregnant
Although popcorn is a healthy snack for pregnancy, consuming it in excess can cause the following risks, including;
- Eating too much salty popcorn during pregnancy can increase your sodium intake and higher the chance of high blood pressure.
- Excessive amounts of popcorn can cause problems like gas, bloating, and constipation in pregnant ladies.
- Consuming heavily processed popcorn while pregnant can increase trans fats and saturated fat intake, resulting in diabetes, high cholesterol, and unhealthy weight gain.
- Popcorn is a choking hazard and can get stuck in your throat. So, you should be cautious while consuming it during pregnancy.
- Popcorn can cause gum irritation or infection if the kernels get stuck between teeth. Since pregnant ladies are more prone to gum disease due to hormonal changes, they should follow good oral hygiene after eating popcorn to prevent dental problems.
- Some pregnant ladies allergic to corn may experience reactions like swelling, itching, hives, and difficulty breathing after eating popcorn.
Popcorn can be a healthy snack for pregnant women, and provides several health benefits like relieving constipation, improving digestion, and keeping a healthy weight. However, you should remember that consuming too much popcorn while pregnant, which is full of fat, salt, and unhealthy toppings, is forbidden and can lead to health issues.
This article on Hipregnancy covered the essential point about popcorn and pregnancy that all pregnant ladies need to know before including it in their diet. Hope you enjoyed it.
If any questions about eating popcorn during pregnancy still need to be answered, share them with us via comment.
The Hipregnancy team is always here to help you!
Can pregnant women eat popcorn?
Pregnant women can eat popcorn during pregnancy in moderation. They should opt for types which are low in salt and fat. Moreover, they should avoid microwaved types.