5 Best Prenatal Vitamins Before Pregnancy of 2023
The specialists recommend that women who want to be pregnant should begin to have a healthy diet program three months before pregnancy. In this period taking prenatal vitamins before pregnancy is very important.
Consumption of prenatal vitamins is vital for the natural growth and maturation of all organs and parts of the fetus. With the right diet and vitamin supplements, you can be sure that you have no deficiencies in your body and that ready for a normal pregnancy.
There are different prenatal vitamins in different compounds and amounts. Pregnant women should know about the properties of different minerals and vitamins and choose the best one. Also, read the article best calcium supplements for pregnancy.
What Are Prenatal Vitamins?
One of the common queries of ladies to their health professionals is: “Should I take prenatal vitamins before pregnancy?” The short answer to this question is yes, but let’s discuss it in detail.
Women’s health is very necessary when starting to plan for fertility as well as during pregnancy, and they need to be aware of what foods to eat while pregnant and before pregnancy. Prenatal vitamins are produced for pregnant women to get the nutrients they need for a healthy pregnancy.
Vitamins that women should take before pregnancy play an important role in their diet and nutrition before pregnancy.
In the table below, you can see the list of vitamins and minerals women need over a pregnancy that were used in making prenatal vitamins and their amount. The list includes below cases:
|Vitamins and Minerals||Amount|
|folic acid||400 micrograms|
|vitamin D||400 IU|
|Calcium||200 to 300 milligrams|
|vitamin C||70 mg|
|vitamin B12||6 mcg|
|vitamin E||10 mg|
The 12 benefits of taking prenatal vitamins before pregnancy
1. Using vitamin supplements is not a complete alternative to nutrition for pre pregnancy. It is a prerequisite for trying to conceive.
2. Deficiency of some vitamins may endanger the baby’s metabolic system.
3. Not taking some pre-pregnancy vitamins increases the chance of premature birth.
4. Taking vitamins increases the secretion of hormones in women.
5. Vitamin E is needed for fetal placenta formation.
6. Vitamin C supports the immune system.
7. Vitamin D helps produce sex hormones and assimilate calcium. Vitamin D deficiency can long-term affect children’s bone health and body composition.
8. Iron helps red blood cells to produce enough oxygen to help the fetus grow.
9. Vitamin B6 helps the ovulation cycle.
10. Folic acid, called Vitamin B9, has a positive and essential effect on the growth and formation of the fetus’s brain and spinal cord. Recommend you read on article “Folic Acid Before Pregnancy“.
11. Omega-3 fatty acids, called vitamin F, are required for brain development in the fetus. Adequate omega-3 in the body of women plays an essential role in improving their fertility and ovulation.
Omega 3 improves the quality of the uterine wall by increasing blood flow to the female reproductive organs. Omega-3 comprises two kinds of acids called DHA and EPA, which are beneficial fats, and fight mental illness and depression in women, principally during pregnancy.
12. Iodine helps the thyroid of women have good efficiency. Low iodine causes miscarriage and stillbirth.
Also Read: liposuction before pregnancy
How long to take prenatal vitamins before pregnancy?
Some healthcare providers believe prenatal vitamins should be started approximately three months before attempting to conceive because the ovules begin to mature and grow three months before release. However, some others recommend taking prenatal vitamins 6 months before pregnancy.
Starting prenatal vitamins 3-6 months before trying to conceive is ideal.
Pregnant women should start consuming Folic acid one month before pregnancy. They should continue their consumption throughout pregnancy. They could consume 400 micrograms of folic acid daily for at least a month before and during the first trimester of pregnancy. In this way, it can decrease the risk of neural tube defects.
If you are in the first days of pregnancy and still do not take vitamins, be sure to see your doctor.
Let’s continue to learn the best prenatal vitamins before pregnancy in the following part.
The 5 best prenatal vitamins before pregnancy
Best prenatal vitamins should include below cases:
- Folic acid, also known as folate, is a type of vitamin B, vitamin B9.
- It is one of the most important and effective pre-pregnancy vitamins that should be taken.
- Folic acid deficiency in the first trimester of pregnancy can be very dangerous for the fetus.
- Folic acid is a medication that you should take for a few months before trying to conceive.
- Vitamin C should be included in the pre-pregnancy diet for both women and men and is very important and effective for both of them.
- Taking vitamin C for women before pregnancy increases the secretion of hormones.
- In men, it also increases sperm count, strengthens sperm DNA, and the acceptance of sperm by eggs.
- Vitamin C continues to prevent chromosomal abnormalities in the baby and miscarriage.
- Vitamin E is important for nutrition in men and women before pregnancy.
- This vitamin acts as a good and excellent antioxidant in the body.
- Vitamin E protects sperm DNA.
- Vitamin E intake by men greatly increases the chances of fertility.
- Vitamin E regulates ovulation if it is included in women’s pre-pregnancy nutrition. As a result, a woman can easily diagnose her ovulation period and try to conceive.
- According to the latest research, the simultaneous use of Vitamin E and D3 significantly increases the likelihood of pregnancy.
- Taking vitamin E before pregnancy increases blood flow to the uterine endometrium and greatly increases the chances of ovule fertilization.
- Vitamin B12 is one of the most important pre-pregnancy vitamins.
- Vitamin B12 is essential for balancing testosterone and LH and FSH.
- Vitamin B12 increases the number of sperm in men.
- B12 helps build red blood cells in pregnant women and combines their DNA and nervous system.
- Women planning to become pregnant should consume the necessary quantity of Vitamin B6.
- This vitamin helps the ovulation cycle. Prolactin in women causes the ovulation process to become irregular. Vitamin B6 reduces prolactin in women, which leads to a regular ovulation cycle.
- This vitamin develops the secretions that regulate the body’s sugar level.
All vitamins mentioned above are the best prenatal vitamins when not pregnant. In other words, you should take them even before trying to conceive. So, it you are planning for a baby, talk to your doctor and ask about taking the best prenatal vitamins before pregnancy.
If you have decided to have a baby, you need to take important steps before you become pregnant to have a peaceful and healthy pregnancy.
To have a healthy baby, start caring for your baby before he/she is formed with proper nutrition and pre-pregnancy vitamins.
Taking prenatal vitamins before pregnancy in consultation with your doctor is best.