Can You Eat Sesame Seeds While Pregnant?
Most pregnant ladies struggle to opt for the best and safest food options to include in their pregnancy diet. The same goes for having sesame seeds while pregnant. But is it okay to have sesame seeds in pregnancy time? Yes!
This article on Hipregnancy aims to cover the vital points you need to learn regarding the consumption of sesame seeds while pregnant, including safety, nutritional profile, benefits, side effects, and ways to include it in your diet. Read on to know about sesame seeds in detail.
Are sesame seeds good while pregnant?
You may wonder if you can eat sesame seeds (til) when pregnant. The good news is that sesame seeds are considered safe for pregnancy, as long as you are not allergic to them.
Some people, particularly in India, believe that sesame seeds should be voided during pregnancy since they are a heat generating food and increase your body temperature. The same idea applies to having seeds of jackfruit during pregnancy.
Indians believe that increasing the body heat resulting in miscarriage or premature labor. Hipregnancy ignores this idea as there is no scientific evidence to prove it. Sesame seeds are loaded with essential nutrients and consuming them provides several health benefits to you and the growing fetus.
Keep reading to see the sesame seeds’ nutritional profile in the following section.
Also Read: can you have horseradish when pregnant
Nutritional value of sesame seeds
Sesame seeds offer essential nutrients to improve the mother’s health and help development of the fetus. The following table shows the quantities of nutrients in 10 grams of sesame seeds.
As you see, having sesame seeds while pregnant is healthy for you since it is rich in essential nutrients all pregnant ladies should include in their diet. Let’s continue to see what sesame seeds can do for you.
Also Read: turmeric while pregnant
Benefits of consuming sesame seeds while pregnant
Listed below are expected health benefits of adding sesame seeds to your pregnancy diet, including;
- Sesame seeds are packed with protein, which is essential for the proper development of the fetus.
- Consumption of sesame seeds while pregnant can boost immunity and prevent colds and flu, due to their vitamin C content.
- Sesame seeds are considered fiber rich food options for pregnant women. They can improve digestion and prevent constipation and other digestive problems.
- These nutritious seeds are rich in calcium, which aids in forming the developing fetus’s bones and teeth. Moreover, it is required to keep your bones healthy and improve your oral health.
Calcium is a must for pregnant women and so some of them are advised to take best calcium supplements for pregnancy.
- Sesame seeds are loaded with iron and can prevent anemia. In addition, it can improve red blood cell growth resulting in an adequate supply of oxygen to the fetus in the womb. (Recommend you check the best iron rich foods for pregnancy.)
- Eating sesame seeds while pregnant aids in preventing neural tube defects in babies since these seeds are high in folic acid.
- Consumption of sesame seeds during pregnancy is good for your heart health. These seeds contain oleic acid, which can improve HDL levels or good cholesterol.
Sesame seeds during pregnancy 1st trimester
Some of you might have heard that pregnant ladies should avoid consuming sesame seeds during the first trimester of pregnancy. But is it true? Are sesame seeds armful in early pregnancy?
No scientific evidence supports that sesame seeds are forbidden during the first trimester of pregnancy. However, consuming excessive amounts of sesame seeds while pregnant, especially in the first trimester, can make you nauseous.
To conclude, you can enjoy having sesame seeds at the early stages of pregnancy, but only in moderate quantities. It is recommended to consult your health provider and ask about the adequate amount of sesame seeds you can consume.
To learn more about the other healthy food in early pregnancy, check the best foods for first trimester.
White sesame seeds during pregnancy 3rd trimester
Similar to consuming sesame in the first and second trimesters, it is safe to sesame seeds during the third trimester. If you are not allergic to sesame seeds, you can benefit from these nutritious seeds in the late stages of pregnancy.
Consuming white sesame seeds while pregnant 3rd trimester can help treat constipation since it is rich in fiber. Constipation is common among pregnant ladies, particularly in the 3rd trimester, since the fetus is heaviest and puts extra pressure on the mother’s bowel.
Including more fiber-rich foods in your diet, like sesame seeds, can help you get rid of constipation. Do you want to know what you can have besides sesame in the 3rd trimester? If yes, check what to eat in the third trimester.
Are black sesame seeds good for pregnancy?
Consuming black sesame seeds while pregnant is safe and won’t cause any health issues if taken in moderation. Do you know anything about the difference between black and white sesame seeds? If no, don’t panic. Keep reading to learn about the differences between these two colors of sesame.
Listed below is a comparison of white and black sesame seeds, including;
- Black sesame seeds taste, but white sesame seeds have a milder taste.
- Black sesame contains the hull; however, the hull is removed in white seeds and they are just the seed’s kernel.
- Black sesame seeds contain greater amounts of vitamin B and calcium.
Pregnant ladies can try black and white sesame seeds. But if you want a better food option, it seems that black sesame seeds are a bit more nutritious. To find out which is the healthier choice for you, talk to your healthcare provider.
Ways to have sesame seeds while pregnant
Studies stated that consuming one or two tablespoons of sesame seeds daily is safe for pregnant ladies, but how to include this amount in pregnancy diet? The following list includes some ways to have sesame seeds during pregnancy;
- Add some sesame seeds to your soups or raita.
- Garnish noodles and curries with roasted sesame seeds.
- Add sesame seeds to coriander or mint chutney and have with quinoa during pregnancy or other dishes.
- Est fresh vegetables with a sesame seed dip.
- Add sesame seeds to a bowl of hot cereal for breakfast.
- Prepare Indian sweets, like chikki, til ladoo with sesame seeds while pregnant.
Risks associated with having sesame seeds when pregnant
Generally speaking, eating moderate amounts of sesame seeds in pregnancy time does not harm you and the developing fetus. On the contrary, having too many sesame seeds while pregnant can cause the following problems, including;
- Overheating of the body
- Upset stomach
- Uterine contractions
- Allergies and skin rashes
- Unhealthy weight gain
It would be best to consult your doctor before adding it to your pregnancy diet to prevent possible dangers of sesame seeds.
Sesame seeds are nutritious food options to include in the pregnancy diet. Eating sesame seeds while pregnant provides several health benefits to the mom and the developing fetus, but consuming large amounts of sesame seeds can cause nausea, stomach upset, allergies, and other issues.
Hipregnancy team prepared this article to help you learn scientific tips regarding the consumption of sesame seeds when pregnant. Thank you for staying with us till the end of this article.
If there are any unanswered questions or missed points about sesame seeds and pregnancy, share them with us via comment. We are always here for you!