Can You Drink Sparkling Water while Pregnant?
Pregnancy is the most wonderful experience in ladies’ life. Although ladies enjoy their pregnancy period, they should be aware of what they do and eat while pregnant. Adequate hydration is one of the most important things you should be aware of if you want to have a healthy pregnancy. Drinking sparkling water while pregnant help you to meet your water need if you don’t like to drink plain water all the time.
In this article on Hipregnancy, we will discuss all you need to know about having sparkling water during pregnancy, its health benefits, risks, safe types, and avoided ones. Read on to figure out more about bubbly sparkling water.
Can I drink sparkling water while pregnant?
Your body needs to be hydrated during pregnancy; therefore, you need to drink enough water daily and know how much water to drink while pregnant. Some of you may find drinking plain water boring or prefer to drink soda or fruit juices instead of plain water. Be aware that you should avoid consuming foods that are high in sugar in excess to manage your calorie intake.
If you want to know more about calorie intake, we recommend you read the article about how many calories to eat while pregnant.
There is a good option to keep you hydrated while pregnant. Do you know what it is? Yes, exactly! It is sparkling water!
Sparkling water falls into pregnancy-safe drinks and can be consumed alongside plain water. It is a good source of minerals, fills you up quickly, and prevents overeating and obesity. Although this kind of drink is safe to consume during pregnancy, it should not be consumed excessively.
Also Read: apple cider vinegar while pregnant
Benefits of drinking sparkling water during pregnancy
Here are a few benefits of drinking this type of carbonated water during pregnancy;
- Craving sparkling water during pregnancy can help with nausea, sickness, and dizziness, especially during the first trimester. Recommend you read on article “best foods early pregnancy“.
- It can prevent dehydration and keeps you hydrated during pregnancy.
- Drinking sparkling water while pregnant can help to relieve pregnancy-related constipation and hemorrhoids.
- It is not high in caffeine, so it can be a good option for those who want to limit their caffeine intake. Don’t worry about your caffeine intake, and drink sparkling water instead of unhealthy carbonated drinks such as soda and energy drinks.
- Sparkling water has no sugars, and because of that can be a part of a diet for gestational diabetes during pregnancy and reduce the risk of overweight gain and obesity.
Also Read: What can pregnant women eat?
Can pregnant women drink flavored sparkling water?
You may wonder, “Can I drink flavored sparkling water while pregnant?” The short answer to this question is yes. There is no evidence to avoid flavored sparkling water during pregnancy.
The source of flavoring for this kind of drink is usually from fruit or the essence of fruits and herbs. These are natural flavors and can’t cause any potential risks compared with artificial flavors.
There are many flavored sparkling waters for shopping which are unsweetened. Nevertheless, it is better to check the product’s ingredient list before buying it; this can ensure you are buying pregnancy-safe drinks.
Remember that if you drink flavored sparkling water sweetened with sugar in excess, you will face preterm birth, pre-eclampsia, and low birth weight.
Is there any reason to avoid drinking sparkling water during pregnancy?
Although sparkling water is a kind of pregnancy-safe carbonated drink, there are some reasons why pregnant ladies should avoid drinking this kind of drink. The following part shows you when and for what reason you should not drink sparkling water;
1- History of gout
Ladies who suffer from gout or kidney stones should avoid consuming these carbonated drinks because these drinks can make these conditions worse.
2- Sensitive stomach
Drinking carbonated beverages, like sparkling water, while pregnant can cause discomfort in those who have a sensitive stomach. It is better to drink plain water to avoid an upset stomach.
Carbonated drinks can exacerbate flatulence, which can lead to upset stomachs. If you suffer from this condition, put carbonated drinks aside and switch to plain water.
4- Hypertension and edema
Usually, sparkling water is high in sodium; therefore, it is not recommended for those who suffer from edema or hypertension.
It is more advisable to say that only your doctor can tell you the best option for you to consume during pregnancy. So, if you want to drink sparking water while pregnant, consult your doctor or healthcare provider first. Enjoy drinking if your doctor is okay about adding sparkling water to your meal plan.
Best sparkling water to drink while pregnant
Generally speaking, you can find seltzer or sparkling water at any stores with different brands. But are all of them safe to drink? Here is a list of some common brands that are safe to drink during pregnancy and don’t have any potential risks;
- Waterloo: it has both plain and fruit flavor sparkling waters. The positive point of this brand is its recipe, which is sweet-free and sodium free as well.
- Perrier: this brand makes all types of sparkling water with natural mineral water, and it has different types of recipes like plain, flavored, unsweetened, and juice-added.
- Spindrift: it has a sweet taste because it adds fruit purees and fresh-squeezed juices. In addition, this brand has a version of sparkling water made with tea. Therefore, it may contain a small amount of caffeine.
- La Croix: it can be named as a brand with the widest range of flavors. Therefore, it can cover all pregnant ladies’ tastes.
- Dasani: this brand’s range of seltzer water is simple, and all of them are made with fruit flavors and approximately 35 mg sodium added to carbonated water.
Types of avoided sparkling water during pregnancy
There are many types of sparkling water for shopping, but some are healthy and pregnancy-safe drinks. Do not buy sparkling water with the following ingredients if you are pregnant;
- High sodium levels
- Artificial colors and flavors
- High caffeine levels
All the above additives are not good options for pregnant ladies, and they can put both mom and baby at risk of health issues such as hypertension and gestational diabetes. Try to choose options that are unsweetened or have a low sodium and caffeine level. Always check the label of ingredients before selecting your favorite sparkling water while pregnant.
Drinking enough water is significant all the time, especially during pregnancy. You may find drinking plain water boring. If so, switch to sparkling water while pregnant. This kind of carbonated drink is a pregnancy-safe beverage, but it should not be consumed excessively.
Do you have any ideas about drinking sparkling water when pregnant? Are you ok with it? Please share your ideas.
1. Is bubbly sparkling water safe during pregnancy?
Yes, of course! It is completely safe to have bubbly sparkling water in pregnancy. Helping with nausea, especially during the first trimester of pregnancy, is the main benefit of drinking bubbly sparkling water.
2. Can pregnant women drink sparkling water during pregnancy first trimester?
Generally speaking, pregnant ladies can enjoy drinking sparkling water in the first trimester, except those suffering from gout, sensitive stomach, flatulence, edema, and hypertension.
3. What about Perrier sparkling water during pregnancy?
Perrier is a well-known brand that uses natural mineral water to make sparkling water with various recipes, such as plain or juice-added. It is popular among pregnant ladies and doesn’t put them at risk of health issues.
4. Can I drink seltzer water while pregnant?
Yes, why not! You can drink seltzer water during your pregnancy, but you should take it in moderation and consult your doctor before adding it to your diet plan.