Can I Eat Tacos While Pregnant?
Regarding pregnancy, it is natural for women to be concerned about the food safety they consume.
Mexican foods are known for their delicious flavors and variety and are a popular choice for many.
Tacos, as Mexican food, are made of seasoned meat, shredded cabbage, some beans, dip or salsa, and vegetables. It is hard to resist eating even tacos during pregnancy, and it is understandable.
However, it is important to be sure whether you can include tacos in your meal plan when pregnant.
If you have the same concern and want to determine the answer: Can I eat Tacos while pregnant? Why don’t you join us in this article?
You can also read other related articles on our website, Hipregnancy.com.
Can I eat tacos while pregnant?
If you have tasted tacos before, removing them from your meal plan might be difficult when pregnant. But since taco is a versatile dish, you can make it safe for your baby and relieve stress.
Tacos are generally safe for pregnant women; however, adding uncooked meat or using unpasteurized ingredients can risk the baby’s health:
1. If you add uncooked meat to your tacos, there is a risk of toxoplasmosis and other bacteria. Toxoplasmosis is enough to lead to the death of the fetus. You might ensure your meat is not pink or bloody and internally cooked at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Another concern with Tacos is using dip, mostly made of unpasteurized cheeses. The issue with unpasteurized cheese is the risk of Listeria infection.
Listeria infection is severe and can cause miscarriage, stillbirth, and uterine infection.
Not only does listeria infection affect your unborn baby, but it can also have long-lasting effects on newborn babies.
Cheeses in the taco filling are made of unpasteurized milk, which is recommended to be included in the ingredients of tacos.
Also Read: can i eat cueritos while pregnant
As you know, Mexican foods are topped with spicy salsa and hot sauces, adding more taste to Tacos.
Eating spicy Tacos while pregnant can cause women discomfort due to upcoming health issues such as heartburn and acid reflux, particularly in the late stage of pregnancy.
Eating spicy tacos at that time can make it worse. But spicy tacos have no association with the stillbirth or miscarriage.
To enjoy tacos safely during pregnancy, consider using cooked meat, vegetables, and sour cream as toppings. These precautions can help you enjoy tacos without any issues.
Also Read: Soufflé During Pregnancy
Advantages & disadvantages of eating tacos during pregnancy
Eating tacos while pregnant can have advantages and disadvantages, depending on the ingredients used.
- Beef tacos can provide protein, zinc, and iron, which are beneficial for fetal development.
- Fish tacos can offer omega-3 fats, protein, and vitamin D.
- Tacos made with beans and vegetables can be a good source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
However, eating tacos when pregnant is not the all; it also contains some disadvantages:
- Certain taco fillings, such as processed meats, cheese, and sauces, can be high in sodium.
- Consuming excessive sodium during pregnancy may lead to fluid retention and increase the risk of high blood pressure. It is advisable to keep balance in eating tacos.
- Additionally, highly spicy tacos can cause heartburn and acid reflux, leading to pregnant women discomfort. So, if you are making tacos at home, minimize the spice level.
Can I eat fish tacos while pregnant?
Fish is a nutritious ingredient that provides mother and baby with protein, vitamin D, and omega-3 fats, which can help the baby’s eye and brain development.
Most fish are safe to eat while pregnant. However, it would be best to avoid those fish containing high mercury.
So, when you order a fish taco in a restaurant, you must know the type of fish.
Here is the list of fish that you must avoid eating while pregnant:
- Orange roughy,
- Escolar, Marlin,
In addition to eating, undercooked, raw, smoked fish are unsafe for babies and mothers.
When you eat fish tacos while pregnant, consider these points to ensure no risk threats to you and your baby.
Can I eat beef tacos while pregnant?
Beef tacos are one of the most loved tacos types that you can find everywhere, and if you have a craving for beef tacos while pregnant, you can consume it with a sense of relief as it is cooked well and there is no trace of pink or blood in the inside of the meat.
If it is undercooked, it is more likely to carry some bacteria and parasites. While cooking, it can completely kill these bacteria and any contamination factors.
Can I eat birria tacos while pregnant?
Birria tacos are made of beef, adobo sauce, gooey cheese, and corn tortillas.
To avoid potential risks:
- You can eat birria tacos while pregnant when you ensure the beef is cooked well, at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Also, gooey cheese used in tacos is pasteurized to reduce the risk of foodborne illnesses.
- Adobo sauce is made from spices and vinegar; it is better to keep it moderate when using it.
Craving Mexican food while pregnant; boy or girl?
During pregnancy, cravings for specific types of food, such as Mexican food, are normal and can vary from person to person.
However, there is no scientific evidence linking desire to the sex of the baby. Craving is often thought to be affected by hormonal changes and individual preferences.
So, if you’re craving Mexican food, that’s normal, whether you’re expecting a boy or a girl.
However, some myths exist that women who carry a baby boy crave savory and salty food, such as Mexican food.
While women carrying girl baby, they have a desire for sweet dished, chocolates, candy, and ice cream.
Eating nutritious foods during pregnancy has a main role in the development of the fetus. In addition to nutrients offered by food, pregnant women need to keep variety in their meal plan.
To add variety to the food plan, tacos as a Mexican cuisine come to mind. But is it safe to eat tacos while pregnant? It is generally safe to consider some points, such as adding cooked meat rather than undercooked.
Hope you find reading this article helpful and eat tacos while pregnant when you have craved and enjoy it.
If you have any questions in this field, you can reach out to us in the comment section or visit other articles on this website, Hipregnancy.com, to handle your issue with pregnancy and its points.
1- Can I eat tacos while pregnant in the first trimester?
Yes, you can eat tacos while pregnant in the first trimester as its meat is cooked well, and all used toppings, such as cheese, are pasteurized.
2- Can I eat tacos while pregnant in the third trimester?
Women are more susceptible to heartburn and reflexes in pregnancy’s second and third trimester. When you eat tacos, in addition to the mentioned points, you must adjust the spiciness of tacos to a medium degree to reduce the discomfort.